Paul Meijering's Shrek Artwork

Paul Meijering's Shrek Artwork


     The realistic acrylic painting of Shrek (shown to the right) was made by Paul Meijering Emmen, Drenthe, Netherlands on September 22, 2012 was truly a fine masterpiece in my perspective. Paul Meijering was born in Emmen, Netherlands on December 29, 1961 and has been active with the paint brushes for more than 33 years now. He was a inspired youngster at the age of 17 he joined the Academy of Arts in Enschede in Holland so he could receive native training skills in drawing and painting technique. After spending two years at the academy he left and started working for living, but he never could give up the true passion of his life: painting and so in his spare time he continued to paint in his own realistic style.

Before I made Shrek on the tile I first sketched him in my sketchbook (shown to the right) using the graphite-drawing technique and it was effective, but his teeth were still hard to draw especially his bottom teeth since they were so small. Once I drew Shrek I colored in his vest and his eyebrows using my pencil. I was actually quite pleased with this sketch of Shrek until I made it on the tile which was much more better than on paper.







 

The first time that I made the Shrek tile with low-fire clay it was by using graphite-drawing technique just like I did in my sketchbook and it was good and creative, but there were a few mistakes like not enough teeth or the eyes not being big enough and I also added pieces on top of it to make it 3D like his teeth and eyebrows. Since the first time wasn't so good I decided to make it again using low-fire clay again (shown to the right). Before I drew it on the tile I practiced drawing his features like his nose, eyes, mouth, ears, etc. on the picture and then I drew it on the tile and it was very effective. The second tile of Shrek was much more better since it was free-hand drawing and in this tile I got his teeth right and all his other features as well. Shrek looks much more better drawn into a tile than he does on paper.

The main reason that I chose Shrek for my tile was that I've always been very fond of him and ever since I was little I watched his movies and cartoons and drew his pictures. When I came across Shrek's painting I thought what could be better since I had already made him so many times before in the past and to make him again on, but this time on a tile would be much more cooler and fascinating. The main reason I do art is because it brings me joy to put something that you see or love onto paper or make a painting out of it and then to look back at it or frame it for decor brings me joy. Art makes my life more better and beautiful than it already is and it makes me happy whenever I'm feeling sad or bored.


Works Cited:
"AKI ArtEZ." Artez Institute of the Arts. N.p., n.d. Web. 24 Apr. 2017.

Radi, Dan, Chrisann Ellis, Pamela Johnson, John Bailey, Anna Elia, Paul Meijering, Maria Sopoglidou, and Martha Suhocke. "Shrek by Paul Meijering." Fine Art America. N.p., n.d. Web. 24 Apr. 2017.

"Paul Meijering - Artwork for Sale - Emmen, Drenthe - Netherlands." Fine Art America. N.p., n.d. Web. 24 Apr. 2017.

Comments

Popular Posts